Friday, May 14, 2010

First day in town

With the day off my only goal was to explore my new little town!  I was first taught how to use bear spray by the intern.  A word of advice, DO NOT stand downwind of someone with a can of bear spray.  Fully armed, I walked over to the ranger station to get a map and say hello to the rangers.  Next, I went down to the Talkeetna River, crossed the train trestle, and hiked along the rivers edge for a bit. 
 
After getting a library card, I popped into the famed Roadhouse for a loaf of bread.  It took all of my self-restraint not to buy everything in the place.  They had pasties (bottom right in photo below), which reminded me of Jamaican patties (Jamaica post coming soon), filled with meats of all kind.  The most enticing was the "patty melt" pastie filled with reindeer meat, carmelized onions, and swiss cheese.  YUM!  Something to look forward to.  I love my new town.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine that bear spray is so much more potent than pepper spray. When I was younger, I inadvertently sprayed it in my Mom's room just to see what would happen, it was horrible!

    Good to hear that you are settling in. I bet it's beautiful! Looking forward to seeing more :D

    ReplyDelete